In this post: Clean eating with a little Paleo, a little gluten-free, and about 30 % wiggle room! Can this Junk Food Kid get it together? Can health food actually taste good? Come find out and see the recipes I used for week three.
Hello, dear ones! Welcome to week three of my clean eating journey.
Why and how I’m changing my diet: http://amberdover.com/2016/08/09/the-junk-food-kid-comes-clean-week-1/
- BBQ Meatloaf muffins with sweet potato Topping~ Yum! These were delicious and filling! https://therealfoodrds.com/bbq-meatloaf-muffins/
- Chicken Zucchini Poppers with Avocado Egg Salad~ These were good, but I prefer regular egg salad. http://www.theroastedroot.net/avocado-egg-salad-mayo-free/ and http://carbswitch.com/2014/11/12/appetizers-parties-paleo/
- Bell Pepper Nacho Boats~ I used beef but you can use turkey instead. It only took one to make me full. They taste good too. http://skinnyms.com/skinny-bell-pepper-nachos-recipe/
- Baked Garlic Mushrooms and Fried Green Beans~ I didn’t enjoy the mushrooms much, though they didn’t taste bad per say. The green beans were great though. Maybe a little bit of a cheat… http://www.theironyou.com/2015/08/easy-baked-garlic-mushrooms.html
- We had organic frozen pizza from Aldis one night when I was too tired to cook. Chris grilled turkey burgers another night. It’s good to have easy meals on hand for those crazy days!
Snacks and Desserts
- Pita Crackers with Brie and Pepperoni~ The pepperoni is the cheat and some may say the cheese is too. I will say that this Brie is the real deal. I won’t eat more than four of these at a time…though I wish I could eat ten. I’ll be good. The pita crackers are much crispier and lighter than Ritz crackers, but they are still tasty.
- Carrots and Celery with Ranch~ an easy snack. Spruce it up with peanut butter or Ranch.
- Organic Corn Chips and Cheese Sauce ~ So this feels like cheating all the way, but it’s only a small cheat with the cheese sauce. The corn chips are actually healthy. Yaa!
- Organic vanilla ice cream with Paleo dark chocolate drizzled on top and carob chips. Warning: Carob chips are super bitter! I like chocolate better.
- Healthy No Bake Breakfast Brownies~http://thebigmansworld.com/2016/06/24/healthy-no-bake-breakfast-brownies/
This does not look or taste healthy…which makes it all the better! The peanut butter is strong, but I love peanut butter so it didn’t bother me. You’d never know there’s sweet potato in it. You can probably use almond butter if you prefer.
- Cherry pie pockets ~ I mixed these two recipes.
The sugar in the cherry filling, though raw and organic, is definitely a cheat. But the pockets were still too dry and bland for us. We added organic ice cream to make it sweeter. Okay, so…I’m not even going to make an excuse up for that one. I’ve added the cherry filling to a couple things. I have some in the freezer too. I just think the crust was too plain.
Taking the pits out by hand took hours!
- Find the rest of my Junk Food Kid posts at: http://amberdover.com/category/homelife/my-family-rocks-sundays/recipes-my-family-rocks-sundays/the-junk-food-kid/
I hope you are inspired! God bless & remember the High King lives! ~Amber Dover
You can find more recipes here: https://www.pinterest.com/doverette/endo/
and I’ll be pinning several here too: https://www.pinterest.com/doverette/clean-food/