In this post: Clean eating with a little Paleo, a little gluten-free, and about 30 % wiggle room! Can this Junk Food Kid get it together? Can health food actually taste good? Come find out and see the recipes I used for my last Junk Food Kid post. Enjoy!
Hello, dear ones! Before I start, here’s a fun printable I’m using to keep up with the great recipes I’ve found on my clean eating journey. Then I’m going to share several recipes and end with my final thoughts on this process.
PS: I’ll share my own favorites list at the end!
- Turkey & Sweet Potato Skillet Burrito ~ http://www.primaverakitchen.com/ground-turkey-sweet-potato-skillet/
We made this into burritos because the texture didn’t work by itself.
- Sausage & Kale Vegetable Soup~ https://icrashedtheweb.com/2011/03/07/kale-is-the-new-spinach-subtitle-healthy-crockpot-recipe-tuscan-chicken-sausage-kale-and-vegetable-soup/
I wasn’t crazy about this soup, but the guys liked it.
- Chicken Salad Pepper Cups~ http://www.raisinggenerationnourished.com/2014/03/chicken-salad-pepper-cups-allergen-free-options/
These were delicious! I was completely blown away!
- Loaded Turkey Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans ~
I adore this meatloaf. It’s moist and pure yummy. I’ve had compliments, and I know this will become a traditional Autumn dish for us.
- Tortilla & Black Bean Pie~ I was inspired by this recipe, but I added two big ingredients.
I added ground beef and tomato sauce. I think it brought the pie up to the next notch.
- Roasted Salted Almonds
- Roasted and Salted Sunflower Kernels
- Dried Cranberries
- Sweet Potato Chips
- Veggie Straws with Sea Salt
- Strawberry Banana Fruit Twists
- Date Caramel Chocolates~ http://www.veganosity.com/3-ingredient-date-caramel-vegan-and-gluten-free/
I had no clue that caramel could be made with dates. This recipe is amazing. Here’s proof: My husband hates dates, but he never guessed that I used anything but regular caramel. Shhhh, don’t tell him.
So I made paleo chocolate again and poured it into an ice tray.
I added date caramel…
then I changed it up. I added coconut butter and almonds to some of the chocolates. I added peanut butter to the others.
Then I poured more chocolate over the top.
They’re like healthy candy bars! You can add other items like cookie crumbs or raisins…whatever you want.
- Black Bean Brownies~ http://happyhealthymama.com/black-bean-brownies.html
I’ve had a hard time with healthy brownies. If the main ingredient is a vegetable, there is this spongy texture I can’t get into. I can eat these for breakfast but they don’t taste like a dessert. I guess my sweet tooth is still very strong.
My favorite recipes and then I answer “Did the Junk Food Kid come clean?”
- BBQ Chicken with a side
- Chicken Salad Pepper Cups
- Chicken brie cranberry braid
- stuffed peppers with shredded chicken and black beans
- sweet potato chicken and kale patties
- chicken stir fry
- chicken cupcakes with sweet potato
- chicken and rice
- fried chicken with a side
- turkey braid
- turkey and green bean skillet
- turkey meatloaf
- sweet potato and turkey meatballs
- Black Friday pie
- Chicken nuggets
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Pot roast
- Gravy Roast
- Homemade hamburger helper
- shepherd pie
- BBQ meatloaf muffins
- filet mignon with asparagus
- steak with baked potato
- pumpkin chilli
- Spaghetti squash
- red beans and rice
- spaghetti rice
- fish sticks and a side (hush puppies)
- Baked Coconut shrimp
- Honey lime shrimp
- shrimp cocktail
- shrimp scampi
- Salmon patties with side
- tuna alfredo
- chicken or tuna alfredo
- tortilla and black bean pie
- bell pepper nacho boats
Asian and Soul Food
- Bourbon chicken
- fried rice
- egg rolls
- sweet and sour chicken
- jambalaya gumbo
Appetizer meals and pork
- pork chops fried or grilled
- meatballs and mozz. sticks
- pigs in a blanket with artichoke dip & chips
- Crunchy chicken salad
- hamburger salad
- grilled chicken salad
- egg salad
- taco salad
- turkey wraps
- grilled cheese
- chicken salad sandwich
- peanut butter with or without jelly
- tuna on toast
- turkey burgers
- sloppy joes
- BBQ sandwiches
- chili dogs with cheese and cole slaw
- Tomato soup
- pumpkin soup
- chicken and sweet potato stew
- chicken pot pie soup
- chicken and dumplings
- Irish lamb stew (or with beef)
- matzah ball soup
- pumpkin lentil soup
- stuffed pepper soup
- potato soup
- chicken noodle soup
*I marked by crockpot items by a star on my own printable.
- french toast
- bacon and sausage
- bacon and egg cups
Yummy sides (my own category)
- potato salad
- mashed potatoes
- mac n cheese
- beans and rice
- baked potatoes
- muffins, cornbread, or biscuits
Will any of these be on your recipe list? Do you have anything unique you want me to try? What’s your top favorite in each category? Please leave me some comment love :).
So let me wrap up my thoughts on this journey. Has the Junk Food Kid become clean? Honestly, not completely. I still like sodas, cookies, and McDonald’s french fries. It didn’t take long for me to get hooked back on those things. All it took was one week out of town. But…I have more healthy tools to get me out of the junk food pit when I fall into it. Most of my cooking is healthy, but I still have that wiggle room. If I’m having a rough day we may eat out. I have several healthier options, though.
I’ve discovered new vegetables (to me at least) and new ways to eat certain foods. My recipe arsenal has expanded. I can easily slip back into eating healthier if I make myself. I probably won’t experiment as much now but I am open to trying nontraditional recipes still. So my family has a more diverse menu. We have healthier snacks to combat our sweet cravings. There is hope for the Junk Food Kid yet. Thank you for following my journey!
God bless & remember the High King lives! ~Amber Dover
You can find more recipes here: https://www.pinterest.com/doverette/endo/
and here too: https://www.pinterest.com/doverette/clean-food/