In this post: A Toy Store Craft, The Nutcracker fun, and lots of sensory play ideas! Also, a free printable!
Hello, Dear Ones! Are you ready to dream of sugar plums? I’ve never really had any so I’ll dream of chocolate instead! Our main focus during Advent/Christmas is the birth of Jesus…still, we love the toys and shiny lights just as much as anyone. I especially like The Nutcracker and of course the ballet. As a kid, I was so excited when I got my first Nutcracker. I didn’t become a ballerina until my senior year of high school (which was a short time) and so I mainly dreamed of that world. I’m still in awe as I watch the Sugar Plum Fairy dance.
Michael is getting past the age of going to ballets with me. Thankfully Leeland enjoyed the story. We watched it on tv though because he would never sit quietly in a show like that.
- Nutcracker puppets
- Leeland loved this Read-Aloud version!
- Toy Store Craft- I made Leeland’s Toy Store with Paint and then I cut out toys from a magazine. Leeland pasted the toys on the shelves. We also read the book Corduroy.
You can get the free printable here:
*This is for personal use only. Please do not share the link directly but rather point people to this blog post. Thanks!
Shapes, colors, and Christmas galore! We had lots of sensory fun!
- We used the water table as an ice village again. I love the wooden penguins and the Christmas houses.
- Snow play! We made “snow” with our ice shaver. Add toys and voila! Snow much fun! 😉
Leeland “shoveling” snow…
- Frozen Rice- I found this wonderful idea here: http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2013/11/snow-rice-sensory-play.html
- Christmas board books– We read so many books this season. I love anything Duck and Goose. We also like to get board books at the dollar store.
- Christmas Pre-Writing- I’ve recently been introduced to pre-writing activities. I didn’t know much about this when Michael was little. Thankfully, I do now…so Leeland is learning how to make lines and zig zags. I had to help him a bunch but he’s still little. We loved the pretty Christmas theme. Leeland thought zig zags were fun!
You can get it here: https://stayathomeeducator.com/free-prewriting-practice-christmas-themed/
God bless & remember the High King lives! -Amber Dover
More Christmas Posts:
Toddler Life posts:
Christmas Playlist on Youtube
You can help keep this blog up by donating here: