In this post: Peruvian beads as we learn about Mountainous regions and pop art in the style of Andy Warhol. Join us for a trip back to our 5th-grade studies!
Hello, Dear Ones! This is my 6th post for our 5th-grade studies from a couple of years ago. In geography, we learned about mountain regions and in science, we learned about rocks and minerals (AKA treasure). Our famous artist was Andy Warhol and Michael had fun with Fast Food math. We did these studies in February of 2016. Here’s how we learned!
- The Alps– “The Alps are the highest and most extensive mountain range system that lies entirely in Europe, stretching approximately 1,200 kilometers across eight Alpine countries…” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alps
We made this cool paper plate Mountain climber from http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Mountain-Climber.html
- The Andes- “The Andes, running along South America’s western side, is among the world’s longest mountain ranges. Its varied terrain encompasses glaciers, volcanoes, grassland, desert, lakes, and forest.” – Google Maps Quick Facts
The Andes has different types of terrain, so we showed that with different colors of tissue paper.
- The Himalayas- “The Himalayas, or Himalaya, form a mountain range in Asia separating the plains of the Indian subcontinent from the Tibetan Plateau. The Himalayan range has many of the Earth’s highest peaks, including the highest, Mount Everest.”- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayas
We were in a rush and simply colored the Himalayas.
- Mountain Project Board with Crayola gem study
You can no longer find the gem worksheet on Crayola’s site. We used a granite contact paper for the background and a mountain puzzle.
- Crystal Mining Kit- I believe we got the kit from Michael’s Craft store.
- Peruvian Beads- As we learned about the Andes Mountains we read about the natives of Peru. Michael made a Peruvian bead bracelet using clay.
- Leeland’s Art- I was always keeping Leeland busy with something messy.
- Fast Food Math- I put together a Fast Food menu using clip art I found online and Paint.
Michael even dressed the part of a fast food employee. His toys were the customers.
Michael put the orders together in bags and tallied up the prices for the receipt. He used paper food.
- Cadbury Eggs Andy Warhol Style (Pop Art)- “Andy Warhol was an American artist, director, and producer who was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as pop art.”- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Warhol
Michael took several photos of household items like Cadbury eggs and spices. I put the special effects setting on my camera which really made the pictures pop.
- Fun in Creation
- A Picnic at home and bird watching
- This was right after Terabithia was torn down and before we built the schoolhouse. There was plenty of room for picnicking!
- School at the library
- The Fire Truck at our Homeschool Group
- Tennis with Nana
- Painting Chris’ shed
- Michael going hunting with his Dad
God bless & remember the High King lives! ~Amber Dover
You can find more ideas here:
5th Grade Pinspiration
All of my 5th Grade Posts: